Wednesday, June 22, 2016

the bonnie I never knew

Sad title? Trust me it's not a sad post.

walking to see the sea

Kids and grandkids often trigger memories of our own youth. Today I overheard our daughter singing to our baby granddaughter. She was singing “My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean”. Instantly I remembered singing it as a child with the wrong words (sometimes I can't carry a tune or the words). I didn’t know a Bonnie so I thought the lyrics used “my body”.

Using the magic google window into the internet, I found this:

“When I was little I thought it was "my body lies over the ocean" I was a Dark child”

That was a comment left on a youtube clip of this Scottish folk song. Very reassuring that I was not the only one to hear “my body”. I never could figure out why someone’s body would lie over an ocean. It would be an amazing stretch.

I also learned that Bonnie probably refers to Bonnie Prince Charlie who was defeated in a battle and exiled.

Back when I first learned it was Bonnie, I thought like many do, that is was a love song. Now knowing of this exiled prince, I suspect it probably was a political song. Politics have been creeping into all aspects of life for a long long time.

I might just need to start working on an updated version:

My Obama lies over the ocean
My Obama lies over the sea
My Obama lies over the ocean
Oh, bring back my Obama to me.

my body lies over the hammock

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing