Monday, January 11, 2016

do you like to flaunt

I am not a show off. Somewhere between big ego and low self esteem there is a successful balance. Maybe I got it right a few times.

However in this song I’m about to over analyze, I am suspicious of why the term flaunt is used. My speculation could be over the top and too much under the table. Of course please share your opinion in the comment section.

No one should flaunt flatulation. I’m not sure what made me write that. It has nothing to do with the song. I guess I was thinking of ‘f’ words.

Another post, another Tom Jones song. Back before I carried a smartphone (as if that marks an era?) I did a post about a Tom Jones song, Delilah.





Why why why Delilah, would I write about another Tom Jones song? I don’t know. The Delilah song and this one are interesting because our culture has changed attitudes regarding many of the topics sung about in these songs. Whatever, Delilah wouldn’t care since she was killed off in her song.

She’s a lady and I’m a sexist. That could be the long title for this song. Paul Anka wrote the song for Tom Jones. 








Well, she's all you'd ever want
She's the kind I like to flaunt and take to dinner
(flaunt? another example of how our generation’s music made good use euphemisms)
(dinner is probably the only thing this lady gets out of this)
But she always knows her place
(knows her place - oh that’s non-starter)
She's got style, she's got grace, she's a winner (he's a loser)
She's a lady
Oh, whoa, whoa, she's a lady
Talkin' about that little lady
(little lady - wow saying that today would get your ass kicked back to the 60’s or earlier)
And the lady is mine
(ok at this point I do believe he is talking about his cocker spaniel named “Lady”)
Well, she's never in the way
(yeah women are always getting in the way - my way that is)
Always something nice to say, and what a blessin'
(he’s got that right - a blessing she doesn’t deck him)
I can leave her on her own
(while he goes off and spends time with women who are less than ladies?)
Knowin' she's OK alone and there's no messin'
(she is alone and ok but what is he up to? double standards)
She's a lady
Oh, whoa, whoa, she's a lady
Talkin' about that little lady
And the lady is mine
(ownership makes for a great relationship?)
Well, she never asks very much
(good for her)
And I don't refuse her
Always treat her with respect
I never would abuse her
(Is that a pledge really necessary? Wouldn’t that just be understood?)
What she's got is hard to find
And I don't want to lose her
(buy her dog tags)

Help me build a mountain
From a little pile of clay, hey hey hey
(mountain of clay? I think he would be in a mountain of shit at this point in the song)
Well, she knows what I'm about
She can take what I dish out, and that's not easy
(oh yeah idiot, just keep dishing it out)
But she knows me through and through
And she knows just what to do and how to please me
(yeah it’s all about you)
She's a lady
Oh, whoa, whoa, she's a lady
Talkin' about that little lady
And the lady is mine
(just continues on with repeats of mostly whoa whoa’s. It was not unusual to find attitudes about women back then like this.)


Hmm, do you think there is any chance the lady's name was Delilah?

Hey if you have time for another clip, here’s a song that answers “She’s a Lady”. Lesley Gore had a sixties hit “You Don’t Own Me”. 18 year old Grace from Australia does a mean cover of the late Leslie Gore's hit.



No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing