Monday, November 10, 2014

Veterans Day view

First off, it’s important to note that we call it Veterans Day not War Veterans Day nor War Day. President Wilson proclaimed Armistice Day which celebrated the cessation of a war. In 1954, Congress renamed it Veterans Day.



Veterans Day is about the willingness to serve, common good, families, citizens. I suggest we celebrate the people and their families that have served or are serving to stop or prevent war. It’s not a celebration of past war.  It's a belief in a common good.

My family includes many veterans; father, brother, cousins, uncles. None of these relatives died in combat. It’s their willingness to serve that deserves honor.




I served in the US Air Force. I joined while Vietnam was winding down. I didn’t plan or want to go to war but would have if called. At the beginning of my military career, we briefly went on high alert because of the 1973 Arab-Israeli War. Had that crisis escalated, I might have found myself in “harms way” for a problem I knew little about. Knowing little or even nothing about the background of a crisis that might kill you, probably happens too often.

While I was serving in the Air Force, I first heard the term keeping the peace used with the military. The objective of our military should be peace. Many have differing opinions about military roles. I think our military has allowed us the freedom to express these opinions.




It seems our world always has man-made threats to peace. The common good isn’t common with everyone. Remembering wars, and especially the veterans and their families will help us make common good more common.

To the veterans - thanks for your service! 


(a quick rant) Also, Veterans Day is not handy term to throw in your red-white-and-blue sale day ad. I, nor any veteran I know, feels honored by sales ads.

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing