Thursday, July 25, 2013

friday fragments fail to be final

tweedle tweedle little tweet
how I wonder why it’s not sweet
up above social media so high
like a stick in my eye
tweedle tweedle little tweet
how I wonder what will compete

(how many know the original whole poem/song?)

I don’t think Friday Fragments will ever be final. How could fragments end? Would they just trail off to a sentence then a word and finally a letter?

Unknown Mami is still IT for the FF host. She is hiding out on the west coast waiting for links to wash up on her shore. (or is it waiting for someone to wash up the links?)

Unknown Mami


Oh I finally decided my future lies beyond the yellow brick road. Instead I should just walk the beach. I’m going to repeat a picture of the beach and our granddaughter I used in a post earlier in the week. 


 

Is there a blog rhythm? Do you read blogs at a regular time during the week?  I admit I don’t visit all the blogs on my list everyday. Many events can and probably should interrupt blog browsing. This past week I happened to post twice in the same day. It appears the first post of that day didn’t get much attention. I wonder if delaying the second post with the schedule feature would have been better overall. 


 

Now I am thinking many of you smartphone packing Sallies and Sams don’t bother with the insides of a bank lobby but I'm here to tell you, they still exist. They even still have a teller or two working.

Recently I tried to get quick cash (many don’t bother to carry cash anymore too) from the drive-up ATM. Apparently, I flipped some digits on my pin so no cash for me. I tried a second time being careful to enter the correct sequence. Refused again, I parked the car and went into the lobby.

Three tellers working and all three occupied. (when did bank lobbies become a senior citizen hang-out?)  Two of the three positions were serving senior citizens one of which was telling a story and the other seem to keep changing the transaction details. Finally the third opened up and was able to withdraw some cash but not check the ATM card status (of course many would view me as a senior citizen too). Another trip outside and in again was needed before it was fixed.

Conveniences turn into nuisances when they fail.


 

A couple of summers ago my wife discovered a series of weekly outdoor concerts at the Morton Arboretum. We had gone to about 5 that summer.  Not so much this year.

The weather doesn’t always cooperate. Your ticket gets you a free wine taste and they have an abundance of cheese, crackers and veggies to munch on. She remembered it this week and the weather was perfect. A band of two, Frank and Dave, performed old and new songs. From the Eagles to Phillip Phillips.

32 comments:

Keetha said...

I have often noticed that when I make multiple posts per day the early ones get far less attention.

I'm not complaining mind you - cause even though I have been blogging more I still have been neglecting the blogs I follow. Sigh.

Karen and Gerard said...

The only time I go into a bank anymore is to make a deposit if I have an actual check and only once in a while to get cash out. I don't use those ATMs--I'm old.

Joanne said...

The librarians at the counter are always friendly. Guaranteed.

Pam said...

DD2 went to an Eagles concert this week in DC. Her father and I are still not talking to her. LOL Summer outdoor concerts are fantastic- if you can take the humidity here in the low-country of SC- I love the exposure to local talent.

Cheryl P. said...

I initially blogged every day when I first started but realized that my numbers go much higher if I blog a couple of times a week. It gives people time to read my latest post and not miss any.



As far as reading blogs, I have an A list and B list. I try to get my A list blogs read everyday...time permitting. At most I get a day or two behind on these. My B lists get read when I have a chunk of time to get caught up.


As far as banking, I visit the tellers a couple of times a month for deposits but I get cash from ATMs. The banks are definitely making it harder to deal with a teller.



The Morton Arboretum looks awesome. (of course I Googled it) I didn't realize there was an arboretum in Lisle. Next time I am up in that area I will visit it.

OneStonedCrow said...

Great Pic of your Grandaughter - I avoid banks and any other public place where there are lines of people ... when I'm forced to stand in a line I play a game ... when the person in front of me moves forward I stand still and feel the pressure build up from the people behind me ...

lisleman said...

I hope I'm never behind you in line. "feel the pressure" - crazy game and you might feel more than pressure one day. thanks

lisleman said...

Well if you looked up their site online, then maybe you already know that it was started by the Morton salt millionaire. It's a beautiful piece of land. I'm not sure I like learning about the A and B lists because now I'm wondering. I've only did the daily posting a few times - too difficult I think. thanks

lisleman said...

The humidity gets bad here too but we get breaks from it. "not talking to her" because she didn't bring you along? Live talent can much more fun. thanks

lisleman said...

I agree. Funny that I never thought of comparing the bank with the library. I don't mind waiting at the library as much as at the bank. Not sure why. thanks

Cheryl P. said...

You are definitely on the A list. A lot of my B list don't get regular comments as there are just too many.



When I saw the Morton in the name, I initially thought of Morton, Il. I drive through there every once in awhile.

lisleman said...

I only use the ATM for withdrawing cash. I like the idea of person taking my deposited check. I can still remember well the days of getting an actual "paycheck". Direct deposit is a good system. Thinking of "old" stuff, I remember having a savings book. thanks

lisleman said...

thanks for the survey answer. It's the nature of blogging that makes the freshest post the most attractive. Of course, I know on a blog new to me, the latest post might not be one of the better ones.
Neglecting blogs is like neglecting books, you still like the authors but are time constrained.

lisleman said...

thanks that's good to know. Maybe I should make a blog banner/badge stating I'm A listed on "The Art of Being Conflicted".

Cheryl P. said...

haha...I don't think that TAOBC carries that much weight in the blogosphere.

tckk said...

Love the beach picture!!

tettelestai said...

Oh what fun, live concerts and a relaxing venue are the best!


I wonder what it is about the blog post thing? I rarely post two in one day anyway. But I don't know that I have checked the ratings. Hmmm.


I don't know if banks are gray haired hangouts, or if those folks simply choose to do things the 'old fashioned way' because they don't see the need to change their habits. Or could it be a rebellion against the computer? That would be an interesting survey to conduct. That weighed against the younger generations who can't seem to put the tech down :-(

Bearman Cartoons said...

I have defragged a computer but what is a frag

Rebecca said...

We were in the bank on Saturday morning last week and I gotta tell you, that place was hopping. Plus also, the cub cash (for kids) CD or whatever they are calling it is earning more interest than my adult savings account. Which we were there....we wanted to switch all the $$ from the kids savings account to a CD because they aren't allowed to spend any of it until they reach 18ish??? We haven't decided yet.

lisleman said...

thanks it's a favorite now

lisleman said...

I didn't know this was a mystery to you. It's a blog-hop type of linked-up thing that was started by Mrs. 4444. Here's a description on her blog

http://www.halfpastkissintime.com/p/friday-fragments.html


It has become my favorite post of the week for me. Basically fragments of ideas that individually don't deserve a full post.
thanks for asking.

lisleman said...

A senior citizen rebellion? Hey now that would fit in well with our boomer generation and the protesting from the past.
Habits and change often cause conflicts.
thanks

lisleman said...

A hopping bank lobby? They weren't passing out free cash were they? I have never heard of this type of CD. If it had a fixed interest rate I would not sign up for anything over 18 months. The interest rates are probably going to go up again (they can't go any lower) and you would not want to be stuck for a long time with a low one.
thanks (oh read the fine print disclaimer on my advice if I ever get around to writing one)

Bijoux said...

I once went into a bank to deposit some random checks, but their system was down, so they couldn't take my checks. The teller suggested I use the ATM instead......um, no.....if your system is down , why would I risk depositing checks into a machine?? I'm an old timer too, I guess.

Sometimes I don't comment if I can't think of anything clever or non-redundant.

lisleman said...

Oh it would be nice if you comment even if it's a "nice post" type comment. Yes of course, more thoughtful or funny comments are better but just the feedback of a quick simple comment is very welcomed.
I agree with not leaving the checks in the ATM machine if their system was down. I would think even if the system was down they could accept the checks and give you a hand written (are tellers allowed to write anything by hand?) receipt.
thanks

unknownmami said...

Boy that cash was not quick!

Laurie Matherne said...

Yup. I agree that conveniences are nuisances when they fail to work. We have online banking now in Honduras, but . . . lots of times it doesn't work or fails to update in a timely fashion. For this reason, I am on speaking terms with the bank guards and teller at my local bank. I like your money laundering picture.

Laurie Matherne said...

It's very hard to do bank business in Honduras without your bank book. I often forget mine at home, and those tellers are not satisfied with my account number and resident card. Nope. They need my little bank book.

lisleman said...

No it wasn't and I was on my way to get some food. My stomach kept ticking away the time for me. thanks

lisleman said...

thanks - there are very few neighborhoods where you could hang that on line and see it last. Given the other crime problem you have mentioned, I think the bank guards would be better to know than the tellers.

Traci Shannon said...

I like the Tweet poem and Yes, I have recently had to deal with a bank lobby. For an ATM card issue, as well.Hope your weekend is treating you well.
:-)
Traci

lisleman said...

thanks - it has been a good weekend.

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing