Wednesday, November 14, 2012

watch out

you might get what you're after

young driver with older brother instructing

While we were visiting grandkids and family, I received an email that was a pleasant surprise.  It offered an opportunity to make a little money.  It was not the foreign businessman help-me scam.

A real offer

A few years ago I grabbed the domain name solarsquared.com. My idea-of-the-day was to start an online site related to portable solar panels and chargers. Now that I see portable solar charger usage has not taken off as I first thought (at least I don’t see a huge demand), it doesn't surprise me that solarsquared.com didn’t really go anywhere.

Go Daddy offered a few freebies with the domain name so I started using one of them, the photo album, on solarsquared.com. The domain name still sounded good to me and the photo album was useful. I renewed the domain name more than once.


do you seriously think I would burn down my house

A small solar-related start-up in Canada researched the ownership of solarsquared.com and found me. We quickly came to an agreement. A small amount was transferred to me and I transferred the domain to them. I’m very pleased with the ending. Now if their operation becomes a big corporation someday I’ll probably kick myself for not holding out for a little more.

A few bucks and knowing my name idea was worth something is a good feeling. While downloading the photos I stored up there in the album, I found these two photos shown here and wanted to share them in a post.






another circus 

17 comments:

tracismixedbag said...

Whoa! That really happened? Very cool. Cute pictures.

Secret Agent Woman said...

The first photo is a funny take on back-seat driving.


Nice that you could work out a deal for the domain name.

Kathy said...

That's pretty cool!

jnoragon said...

It makes you see a much smaller world. A British company offered to buy our domain name years ago. I've never checked to see if it exists as .uk.

lisleman said...

yes it was a surprise thanks

lisleman said...

good caption for it thanks

lisleman said...

yes thanks

lisleman said...

Many people have made money on domain names. First time for me and it was not much. The days of hitting big ones are probably over.

Lisa Fazillah said...

Hello Bill! I was feeling a little lonely :)


Our boat has portable solar chargers! I think it is really great, you are part of a saga. And the pictures are adorable. I think it a great idea to have a site as photo album. Why didn't I think of it. But using G+ as photo albums is cool too.

lisleman said...

Hi, I use G+ as my prime photo album now. I also backup the photos on hard drives. Makes perfect sense to have solar chargers on a boat since they are used mostly on sunny days. Have you ever seen the solar boat that went around the world? pretty cool

Lisa said...

No, but once we were having a very nice breakfast on a very nice neighbour's luxurious yacht, a monster loomed on the horizon, and it was this eco boat. http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_03/EcoBoatPA1_800x529.jpg A,W,E,S,O,M,E.

Bearman Cartoons said...

Someone keeps trying to sell me beartoon.com. I don't see the point. Good on you you cashed in though.

lisleman said...

that is one cool and scary looking boat - something for a James Bond movie

lisleman said...

Yeah I think the difference between beartoon and bearman cartoons is enough to confuse anyone except the seller of that domain. thanks

Mrs4444 said...

That's really cool, Bill!

lisleman said...

yes it was very nice surprise.

Jene said...

Good deal, and great song!

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing