Thursday, November 11, 2010

fragments of my mind



Of course these are my fragments. I’m not going to steal your fragments. I have plenty. But we might have some in common. Lets share.

Thanks Mrs. 4444 (the price of first class postage is still at 44 cents and I don’t want any more 4’s added on) for this regular feature FF. Friday Fragments don’t all need to pop into your head on Friday. You can collect them during the week. Sorta like the recycling.

*^*^*^

I've enjoyed high school class reunions and they get better as the years pass because you start to realize that just being able to show up speaks volumes. Showing up at a 30+ year reunion shows:
  • You graduated
  • You still remember where you went to school and where it is located
  • You are currently NOT serving time
  • You are willing to be seen in pubic
  • The mystery of the fire in locker #2538 was never solved
  • You are not being pursued by an ex-classmate for a paternity suit
  • You are not some narcissistic politician or celebrity (they only go to fundraisers)
  • You are sober (assuming you show up sober which you should)
  • You are still alive


One clear memory of my high school years was the unrest. I went to school with National Guard troops protecting the hallways. It was a little scary at the time but probably a good social studies lesson.



*^*^*^

One thing I’ve been great at is sleeping. Yes I’ve had restless nights but typical there was some event in my life that caused it. Are you still awake? Good, because I want you to read the blog and comment. Don’t start getting sleepy. Anyway, I stumbled on an article about brain waves blocking noises in the night. Now I’m wondering if those same brain waves block my hearing my wife’s gentle reminders to get off my ass and do something.

I bet the study was fun to perform. The researchers altered the noise levels over a three-night period; the first night was quiet and the second and third nights were noisy. Basically, they kept turning up the volume until they woke the person up. 


How fun would that be? “Hey it’s my turn to hit the horn!” “Geez did you see that one jump?”



*^*^*^



I’m certain I’ve eaten at one somewhere in my travels but now Chick-fil-A has opened a few restaurants near me. I still need to visit a nearby one but apparently some people are just crazy for them. There are people camping out in tents for the opening of a fast food restaurant. Crazy.

Over a hundred people were standing outside waiting when their doors open at 6AM. It would take much more than a chicken sandwich to get even my eyes to open at 6AM. I’m not a morning person. I only read about this much later in the day.

Maybe you have seen their award winning Eat Mor Chikin Cow campaign. I always thought it was funny.




Check out other FF stuff by clicking the badge below.




Mommy's Idea

23 comments:

Kristin_The_Goat said...

Well, that was funny. “Geez did you see that one jump?” hahaha
Seriously though, I've often wondered why I don't hear noises while I'm sleeping, but had never bothered to research it. I've always just said that my ears turn off as soon as I go to bed.

We have Chick fil A here in FL, but I think it's pretty expensive. Love the cow campaign though.

I've always enjoyed my HS reunions, but I had never considered your reasons! what a hoot.

Joanna Jenkins said...

There's a Chick-fil-A in my hometown in Ohio-- I was there last week and had a terrific sandwich-- but camping out in a tent?!?! I'd wait will the buzz died down. One of the things I noticed about this restaurant is that they are closed on Sundays so employees can attend church and spend time with family. Do you remember when just about everything was closed on Sundays?

Hope all's well with you. jj

KristinaP said...

Stupid Daylight Saving!! I haven't been sleeping well this week.

gaelikaa said...

That was a great Friday Fragment post. Plenty of morsels there. I think sleep therapy for all sorts of illnesses, mental and physical, must be one of the greatest cures discovered by mankind. If only we had the time.....

lisleman said...

yes I do remember that but it never was much of an issue here in Illinois. They were called "blue laws". I was a little bit of problem when I lived in NC.

Mrs4444 said...

Nice variety here this morning, Lisleman. BTW, will you please remind me how your name came to be so I can spell it with ease, instead of typing it incorrectly and having to fix it EVERY time? (yes, I know you explained it once, but remember, repetition is necessary for learning sometimes :)

I loved the recycling analogy.

I'm fascinated by your National Guard in school fragment and would love to read more about that experience.

Chick-a-fil (or however it's spelled) is an anomaly to me, too. However, I've never had one of their sandwiches..

Have a terrific Friday :) Thanks for linking up!

Marlaahansen said...

Good post. At least I now understand why I have never made it to one of my HS reunions.

TechnoBabe said...

I keep expecting the cost of postage stamps to increase again soon. They might as well jump it all the say to the fifty cent mark and get it over with. I have never seen Chik-fil-A but I know there is no place I would want to eat that would warrant camping out for it to open. Ah well, I am the kind that if I go to a restaurant and there is line waiting to get in I go to a different restaurant. That noise study would have jangled my nerves for sure. Hubby and I try to have our noise level down to a quiet level. Very quiet.

lisleman said...

At the time I thought the whole country had guards in they schools. It was the time of social unrest, 1968, 1969. The unrest at our school was because of racial problems. You know how you can't see the forest because of the trees. Well, I didn't understand their problems at the time. I've learned much more since but I still feel too many people don't care.

Thisstopwilloughby said...

I am a notoriously dead-to-the-world sleeper, but my husband is a notoriously light sleeper, so I was surprised when he slept through the following event:

Some teenagers were going around breaking into cars and unlocked garages in the middle of the night. Our neighbor happened to look out her window around 2 a.m. and saw these kids in our garage. She immediately called the police while her husband ran out to confront the teens. When the police arrived, they came to our door and knocked, rang the bell and shined their flashlights into the windows to get our attention. We had fallen asleep in the living room watching television, so we weren't far from the door, but it still took more than twenty minutes of pounding to wake my husband. I slept through the whole thing, including the police coming in to make a report! My husband told me about it the next day.

Chik-fil-a....We had one not too far from here, but I never ate there. The name never enticed me to stop in (poor spelling = poor food, maybe?). They're closed now.

lisleman said...

I'm the same way on restaurants. I only do a long wait if the group I'm with forces the issue. Restaurants are like Goldilocks porridge not too empty not too full.

lisleman said...

Wow did the police ask if you were alive? If you didn't post that story yet you should. thanks

Dwmatty said...

I attended a few high school reunions and then just stopped going. It's been quite a while since the last one I attended.

As for sleep, I wish I could get some. My sleep is almost always restless.

And Chick-Fil-A is the best! No one does chicken sandwiches better.

Gina said...

Love the fragments!
I haven't been to a high school reunion and my 30th is coming in a couple of years. I wonder which one of those descriptors I am failing?

Chick-Fil-A is yummy, but not campout yummy!
Have a great weekend!

Carolee said...

LOL- that was too funny!

Visiting from Friday Fragments- have a great weekend!

secret agent woman said...

My former classmates are organizing a 30 year reunion, and I'm undecided about whether I'm going to go.

Mama Zen said...

I think Chik Fil A gives away a year's worth of chicken when they open a restaurant. At least they did in my town.

lisleman said...

The story about the opening said something about that and yes I imagine that was part of the motivation to camp out. I'm not sure but I think it was a free sandwich every week. I still don't think it's worth camping out for 52 chicken sandwiches.

lisleman said...

You should go. I think most everyone just likes to see each other and try to remember old stories.

dave hambidge said...

Thanks for answering that point about National Guards in schools. Am I right in understanding that some of the larger American highschools/colleges/universities have armed police that patrol the buildings?

dave hambidge said...

It will be my fortieth senior school leaving anniversary in 2013 and whilst I don't know if any reunion is planned I would be very reluctant to go. Memories are best left unvisited IMHO.

karenmeg said...

This was hilarious - and yes, whaddup with all the sleeping? My husband likes it a lot too.

Line-ups for fast-food chicken at 6 AM is insane. I mean, maybe when you're 18 and standing in line for concert tickets for Tears for Fears (memories - 4:30 AM, actually) but chicken????

Great fragments!

lisleman said...

I don't know of any that have armed patrols. Most high schools have a full time police officers assigned to the the school. I just learned that recently.

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing