Wednesday, April 06, 2016

that hodgepodge game

While I don’t often play along with the Wednesday Hodgepodge meme/game (hosted by From This Side of the Pond), I like this week's questions. While I strive to expand my vocabulary I'm still going to refer to this as a game or maybe a blog game. Here's the last time I played along - post link.


1. What does retirement mean to you? 
Are you planning for it, not thinking about it, looking forward to it, or dreading it?

I’m in it. I didn’t plan to be in it as quick as I did. Dread it? Oh come on, lighten up. Thank God we are healthy so those problems could be something to dread I guess. It’s fine, not great all the time. Time - now that’s something which is very different that before. If time really was money - I would be a billionaire. You do need to think/plan about how to spend it. I have a few hobbies one of which is blogging. It has allowed us to spend much more time with grandkids (honestly I believe you need to be careful not to become a permanent babysitter). Oh, learning about social security options, retirement account tax issues, Medicare, etc., helps your planning. Matinee movies, time to read the morning paper, youtube videos, read books - great benefits

2. It's International Guitar Month...do you play? Does anyone in your family play? What's a song you especially like to hear played on the guitar or a favorite song featuring the guitar?

Two of my favorite artists are Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana (oye como va). Thanks for this question - I'm listening as I finish this post. I do have in-laws that can play but I can only carry a tune when I have my I-pod in my pocket.

3. What's your comfort food? 

Now this is an example of question I would skip. A better question I think is “what’s your uncomfort food?” For me that would be sushi - can’t stand it.

4. What's one activity or area of your life where you absolutely never procrastinate? 


This question, #1, and #2 are the reason I decided to play along today. The answer is strongly related to #1. In retirement you should allow yourself to procrastinate. The hell with schedules, deadlines and shaving. Most things will still be there when you get around to it. That said there are certainly two things that typically need timely attention, bills and taxes. I don’t procrastinate in those areas. I’ve finished my taxes before the month of April for many many years. Now the laundry, cut the grass, etc. - hey I told you I was retired.

5. Who does the grocery shopping in your house? Does your local store bag the groceries for you or is it a do-it-yourself kind of place? Do you like someone packing your groceries?

Probably 90% or more is fortunately done by my wife. You know my answer to #4 could be a problem for me in this area. When I do venture out into the crazy aisles of supermarket (I can remember long ago there were called just markets then they became super) I typically go to a-bag-it-yourself place (note, there are few bags needed on my trips). Yeah, someone packing the bags - great idea. Oh I hate those completely robotic self checkout lanes - save those jobs for humans.

6. What's the coolest thing you've seen in nature?

Many things - nature is wonderful. One experience that is wonderful to recall is lying on hill far from any city, one vacation night with daughter and wife as we watched the full brilliant Milky Way raise over us.

7. Share a favorite quote about home.

Hey get off my lawn. No just kidding. Actually the hostess of this game has a few great thoughts on this in her post.






8. Insert your own random thought here.
I typically read the posts generated by this game more than I play it. Mostly because the questions go over my attention span (you pay attention to things that interest you). But the nice part of this game is it always includes the open question, "insert your own random thought".

Hodgepodge reminds of two things. One is not a thing but a person, my uncle Hodge who I mostly lost contact with due to his divorce long ago. Divorce does have wide spread effects that you don't realize for a long time. Secondly it reminds me of Dodge as in "get the hell out of Dodge". I've felt that way many times and I don't even live in Dodge. Yeah it's just an expression but sometimes it's a feeling.






No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing