Tuesday, April 12, 2016

sun and moon

Right and Left

A planar view will show right and left as opposites. But on a sphere you take right, I’ll take left and back together we will be after we travel around.

Now this made sense to me as I wrote it. When I reread it a few months for now I suspect it might not. The cosmology books I’ve been reading lately has put my mind in different shapes.



By David Benbennick - CC BY-SA 3.0


I’m considering opposites. Clear opposites help guide us don’t you think. You need to be careful because as Robert Plant tells us in Stairway to Heaven, “.. you know sometimes words have two meanings.” (BTW Stairway to Heaven is scheduled for jury trial on May 10)

Yeah sure right and left are directional opposites in a plane way. However, our twisted word usage doesn’t preserve this opposition in everyday speech. Have you ever seen a left angle or left triangle?

Are sun and moon opposites?

I don’t think so.

Unless you are too young and walk with your head down staring at your smartphone you probably have seen the moon out in the daylight. I’m not sure why, but I always delight in spotting it on a clear day. (a quick search tells me the best times for a daytime moon is when it’s close to the first and last quarters.) The sun and moon are only on truly opposite sides of earth during the full moon.

Why Moon River instead of Sun River? We talk of both sunbeams and moonbeams, sunshine and moonshine, sunlight and moonlight.

Language is so imprecise which is why we need mathematics. My questions here don’t need answers. Now, you dream makers and drifters can listen to these two relaxing versions of Moon River as you forget what those questions were.







No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing