Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Notes of thought

I can’t recall anyone ever telling me I write too much. This observation should provide motivation to write more. Yet my motivation withers.


just a short note can mean alot


I don’t believe you need to be a writer to write. Talking is easier but maybe not as effective. Talking doesn’t easily create a permanent record. 

Writing doesn’t flow out of my mind. It's more like small bubbles of thoughts popping up. Just creating occasional blog posts were not always easy for me. A blog post doesn’t require any publisher/editor approval. You can just do it. Of course, just doing it probably won’t mean much to anyone other than the ad agency for Nike.

I did technical (engineering type) writing in my career. Creating a blog post is much more fun.

Those that have written a letter or a note in a card (I wonder if many of future generations ever will) know the process requires more time and thought than talking.

Has the speed and ease of texting changed communication for the future? It does seem so.

Twitter requires less time and thought than any activity except maybe relieving yourself in the bushes after leaving a late night party. The speed of twitter doesn’t provide quality thoughts.

This past week I’ve enjoyed the PBS Ken Burns documentary Country Music even though country music is lower on my musical listening list. Watching this multi-part show, you realize country music spans many different types of music.

Lyrics are poems set to music. The music story presents a number of very descriptive phrasings that since I seldom listened to country music, were new to me.  There are many great songwriters in country music.


from Hank Williams:
Hear that lonesome whippoorwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
I'm so lonesome I could cry
from Kris Kristofferson:
Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' for a train
And I's feelin' near as faded as my jeans
Bobby thumbed a diesel down, just before it rained
It rode us all the way to New Orleans
and another one from Kris:
On a Sunday morning sidewalk
I'm wishing Lord that I was stoned
'Cause there's something in a Sunday
That makes a body feel alone
And there's nothin' short of dyin'
That's half as lonesome as the sound
Of the sleepin' city sidewalk
And Sunday mornin' comin' down

One song that exemplifies country music is Will the Circle Be Unbroken




 

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing