Tuesday, May 21, 2019

what monkey repeat

Repeat after me, what monkey.

Oh don't bother I'm not Alexa, I can't hear you. Today I'm updating an old post from May 2011.








“Then you had to throw a wrench at the monkey!”


Yes I said that. My adult daughter and I both cracked up. We were in a store. Since I hate shopping and she suggested going to look at yet another store, I was starting to worry about our plans that day. It turned out that her idea was a good one and we still finished quick enough  (no monkeys were injured during our shopping).



Do you ever get your idioms or phrases mixed up?


Now had my wife been holding a bird in her hand, this picture would have had two birds in it instead of one (of course taking the picture would have been difficult holding a bird):




Our kids have joked about writing the family story. I believe the working title is “Go vacuum the grass”.

I know other parents out there have called out the wrong name. We are both guilty of that slip up. This same daughter told us once that she figured she was really in trouble when her name was replaced with the dog’s name. I have no idea what the dog thought.

My sister has the mixed up phrase problem too. Once, at a family gathering she stated to the group discussing dating around the kitchen table:
“Why buy a cow, when there’s milk in the fridge.”

Being human means slip ups, mix ups, and maybe a foot in the mouth. But being human is fun if you can laugh at yourself. Sometimes you really should laugh because those around you are.

My original post ended with a newscaster's blooper clip. That clip was removed from youtube (so annoying).

I'm updating with a funny song related to monkeys, "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show". I'm reminding myself that one monkey don't stop no blog post.






Note for those wrench lovers: 
In 1840, Worcester, Massachusetts knife manufacturer Loring Coes invented a screw-based coach wrench design in which the jaw width was set with a spinning ring fixed under the sliding lower jaw, above the handle. This was patented in 1841 and the tools were advertised and sold in the United States as monkey wrenches, a term which was already in use for the English handle-set coach wrenches.

Use a wrench not a wench.

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing