Sunday, February 17, 2019

older I get the younger I think

Hey, how about some lyrical help. I’ll put a youtube clip of the song at the bottom. 


Did you watch the Grammy awards a week or so ago? We did. We enjoyed it. Some songs/acts we enjoyed more than others but covering the range of music playing today will not match everyone’s taste. However, this post is not about the recent awards show. I’m sharing my thoughts generated from listening to an older song by Bob Dylan titled “My Back Pages”.

Warning - I do often find myself culturally confused so my reasoning might be off. 




I see myself more royal than I am

There are songs for all occasions. The great songs invoke a feeling and maybe a thought. Those feelings range from serious to silly.

I’m left confused about Dylan’s title. Does it refer to his past history. Pages might be a reference to his time at school. The lyrics do have a few school references. If I develop these ideas even more I might achieve a “My Back Posts” post.

The chorus line,

“Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now”
begins my focus.

Older thinking vs. younger thinking - they can’t be described precisely. However, many would agree or at least admit hearing the description giving older thinking a more conservative view and younger thinking the more liberal view. When I read the lyrics of this song with that general description I find the words make more sense. He is telling us his view on life has changed and the change is not what is expected.

Now that I’m older I find myself valuing (even longing) the innocence, wonder, and joy of youth.

“Using ideas as my maps”

I do that with this blog. Using your ideas to guide you means you enjoy some freedom and you are thinking of ideas. Of course if you ideas are trash, poorly researched, well then you might be misguided.

"Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
"Rip down all hate," I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull, I dreamed"
There are a few ideas in those lines but the one that I rank most important is that life is not black and white. Too often people think in black and white terms. Life is not that simple.


If you like the song, are there other phrases/ideas that you would like to share in the comments?









No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing