Wednesday, September 05, 2018

it looked to be a nice Tuesday

Maybe my mind's picture of that clear blue Tuesday sky is easily recalled because I looked up at the sky much more that day than normal.

I was scanning the sky wondering what was going to happen next.

This year September 11 falls on a Tuesday again. I am hoping for a nice peaceful day. It will be a sad day.


This past spring my wife and I took a road trip to Pennsylvania. My goal was to visit the Flight 93 National Memorial. We made there, the weather that day was not anything like a sunny clear day. Sleet and low clouds swept across the hillside during our visit.

I have mentioned my connection with Flight 93 in previous posts. Here's a remembrance post from 2013.

I've worked at a handful of companies over my career. Airfone (GTE Airfone became Verizon Airfone) was one of my best engineering jobs. The Airfone service played a role in the Flight 93 event.

Certainly, more people died at the World Trade Center in NYC and at the Pentagon. But I do believe if a brave group of passengers had not fought back for control of Flight 93, many more lives would have been lost in or near Washington DC. At the high speed they were traveling, it would have been just minutes before the plane reached the DC area. These heroes figured out via communication with the ground that the terrorists had another target to destroy. The memorial displays the story of that day and how terrorists' plan to use Flight 93 was stopped that day. Flight 93 was crashed deep into an empty Pennsylvania field.

From the Sources and Detailed Information webpage on Flight 93 National Memorial site:

We know that Flight 93 was destined for Washington D.C. According to the 9/11 Commission Report, at 9:55 am, the terrorist pilot Ziad Jarrah dialed in the frequency for the navigational aid at Washington Reagan National Airport, clearly indicating that the attack was planned for the nation's capital.




display of recovered seatback equipment


this walk follows the final flight path


the victims


Remembrance, memorials, books, etc. are important for future generations to understand the terror that can be inflicted on people. Still all those things fail to prevent future similar tragedies. We can be protected but absolute protection would create a prison cell type life. Singer songwriter Donovan wrote the following in his song, "Catch the Wind".


When rain has hung the leaves with tears
I want you near to kill my fears
To help me to leave all my blues behind





I may as well try and catch the wind

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing