Tuesday, December 22, 2015

best greeting

I know some who get their jingle bells all twisted when they heard "Happy Holidays". I don't understand their disdain for the phrase.

Oh sure I use "Merry Christmas" most often but if someone wish me a "Happy Hanukkah" (yeah I know it's over already this year but in 2016 is lines up with Christmas Eve) I would not be offended. If I was talking with the well wisher I might point out that I'm not Jewish. Happy Kwanzaa - I don't even know if that is the correct phrasing but I'll take it as a well wish.





Can't we just wish each other well regardless of religion? Imagine - I suspect John Lennon might say. Does a well wish need to be tried to a religion?

Well most of us have wished someone Happy Birthday. I don't think there was any religious connection to those wishes.

There is no war on Christmas. There is a changing world though. One of the changes is an expanding global connection of cultures.

I very minor thing but I still remember learning the first time I was in Ireland that I should wish Happy Christmas not Merry Christmas. Apparently, the British (who influenced the Irish probably more than they wanted) consider "merry" as implying a bit of intoxication.



Really the best wishes are those said with respect and goodwill. It's not the words but the feeling expressed. So I wish you the best of whatever you celebrate.

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree is one of My Favorite Things. So, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing