Wednesday, December 10, 2014

unusual group of guys

I discovered this unusual delightful group lives in the most unusual place. If you want you can scroll down to the bottom and skip the sequence leading up to this discovery. I think the sequence of events is interesting too.

It started with a newspaper article. I read this article in the Chicago Tribune. (some tree parts and recycled paper were used in the delivery of this article)

The article was about the British Arrow awards which I had never heard of before. They award the best British ads and in a few US cities people pay to watch a screening of the winners. I would probably go to it but the nearest city appears to be Minneapolis.






One of the winners was an ad campaign for Guinness (their stout is a favorite of mine). After watching the ad I wanted to learn more. The ad is NOT directly about their beer, instead it introduces the viewer to this group in the Congo called Sapeurs. The term “Sapeur” comes from the French words for he Societe des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Elegantes (the Society of Tastemakers and Elegant People).

I know there are groups in New Orleans that enjoy flashy flamboyant clothes and maybe it’s the common French influence between the places. When I watch the ad I’m drawn to the background of poverty in this Congo city. That contrast is really the point of it all.

In this article on The Telegraph web site the filmmaker behind the ad is quoted: 

"The Sapeurs have said to me lots of times that when they get dressed up, when they go out and put on a show, they forget their problems. They feel happy."


No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing