Thursday, May 09, 2013

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows

everything that's wonderful is what I feel....

Who has a life of sunshine, lollipops and rainbows? Of course I've had sunny days, eaten a lollipop and seen a few great rainbows. You don't always get to walk on the sunny side of the street. If you're not careful you'll get run over trying to reach that sunny side.



That Lesley Gore song came up while I was browsing youtube. Youtube is full of memories. A vast section of it could be called oldtube. That over-the-top happiness song is not in my list of Lesley Gore tunes. This one about being on the beach is:



I remember watching Batman but I don't remember any episodes with Lesley. Apparently she was in two episodes. She's too short for a good villain.

Having daughters this next song became even more important than "California Nights" for me. "You Don't Own Me" was written by two guys. Lesley was 17 when she recorded it back in 1963. Many songs have great messages.

The ownership of a girlfriend attitude is probably much less common today. A one sided relationship is doomed from the start. Back in the sixties I didn't know anything about trophy wives. Listening to this today reminded me that trophy wives are still around.


8 comments:

jnoragon said...

Personally, I count Youtube as the gem of the century. All those dedicated people posting old songs, old video for the pleasure of it, so I can watch it whenever I want.

lisleman said...

Interesting - they love oldies there. Do most Hondurans listen on radios or music players? thanks

lisleman said...

I agree youtube has a vast variety of stuff. Ridiculous to highly educational. thanks

Laurie Matherne said...

The radio is used a lot because almost everyone can afford cheap pay as you go cell phones. The cheapest ones have FM radios, too. And the 70s is the golden age for American music in Honduras. I know young people who learned lots of English by memorizing songs from my childhood while living here. It's fun to hear their "slang" English from the 70s that they learned from our music.

Lisa said...

I'm listening to You Don't Own Me and enjoying it. I think it was in Dirty Dancing, or which movie, I feel close and familiar to the song but can't remember where, oh yes, The First Wives Club!

lisleman said...

very true - didn't Danny Devito (sp?) play the penguin in one of the first movies? The make-up was so good I remember I could smell the dead fish. thanks

Secret Agent Woman said...

I heard "You Don't Own Me" on the radio for the first time several years ago. I loved it. Such independence!

lisleman said...

I rediscovered it in the 90's and thought it was a good song for girls to hear. thanks.

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing