Thursday, March 26, 2009

change position for a different view

You get a different view by changing position.



NASCAR effect
Just back from a short road trip to North Carolina. We noticed
an annoying driving trait after reaching Kentucky, riding your bumper.

At one point I was in the middle of three lanes with little traffic and one completely open lane on my left. Following close behind me was another car. I pull over into the other lane and let it pass. I thought it was odd since they had another lane to go around. Many times in various places I have experienced aggressive drivers getting a car to move over but typically there is no open lane.

Later in Tennessee, there were two trucks driving as if there were connected. Since they were similar looking, I'll assume they were both with the same company. It appeared that they tried to change lanes in unison. Riding a bumper is not the same as following someone. You don't need to draft other cars on the interstate.

Then I thought the NASCAR connection - that's it. These drivers watch too much NASCAR and are suffering from the NASCAR effect.




Preschooler insight

I discovered during this trip that wise advice can come from unexpected sources. My wife and I tend to "disagree" (the nicer word for it) on too many small things. We had decided to take the grandkids to this small town for some walking and sightseeing. We were not familiar with the area, but found a parking spot in a small city park.

Since neither of us could see any signs prohibiting our parking there, I parked and proceeded to get the stroller setup, unload the grandkids and start our walk.

Well, my wife was not comfortable with the location and decided the car must be moved. She got back into the car and took off to find a better parking place. I started a small rant to my daughter about this unnecessary delay of our walk. My 3+ grandson picked up on my tone of voice and asked what was bothering me. I explained that Grandma thinks we need to move the car, etc. He then unknowingly gave me some advice by telling me, "that's no big deal".

He was right.


So do you have any examples of this? Please share in the comments.


Share a smile

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children are great. Both naive and sage. They are able to pierce a veil that many grown ups can't. They see past all the nonesense and to what is most important. I think, anway. Might want to get a kid to see if I'm right.
:)

Bill Lisleman said...

Thanks for dropping off a comment.

I agree there is a period of time when they are not inhibited and just say what comes to mind. It's too bad that the cultural rules which are useful also suppress this openness.

That's a good combo you wrote - naive and sage.

alantru said...

Thanks. Have a great weekend. See you again soon!

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing