Thursday, July 09, 2015

wah wah fragments

My being mathematically inclined once (most of my fun differential equations solving is in the far past) I believe, could be the source of my discontent with the way the words “random” and “tons” are used today. Not like a headache producing discontent.(George Harrison called a headache a wah wah - more about that later). No big deal compared to the many other serious world problems, but still, c'mon, current usage of those words doesn't make sense.  They seem to have replaced "spontaneous" and "many/lots".

Here’s a perfect bad example: The Friday Fragment posts are fun to write since you can include tons of random thoughts. (how can you weigh a thought? integrate it?)





Who am I to nit pick another generation's lexicon?  Our baby boomer speak became too far out to be cool and lost it's chill factor.  The Laugh-in show told the censors, "Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!"  Slang will always be constantly changing.


Slang is not as bad biz/corporate speak. Biz speak -
"We remain constructive on the long-term outlook … reflects an overly conservative scenario."
Why don’t they just say “We don’t think we are going to hell-in-a-handbasket anytime soon?

How about an overly radical scenario? If you live in Chicagoland you know the big overblown Grateful Dead Concert was talked and written about for months. Not being a deadhead, I had no problem skipping this crowded overpriced event.



Photo by: Casey Moffitt / Chicagoist


I really don’t remember why but I listened to the old song, Wah Wah this week. That lead me to ask myself this odd question:

Was a wah wah pedal used in the Wah Wah song?

Such an important question to occupy my idle mind.  I was fairly sure it was used, but today, with the vast internet, odd questions can be answered with supporting facts. Wikipedia has a lengthy background on George Harrison’s Wah Wah song. Here’s the line from it that answered my question: 
The recording begins with Harrison's guitar riff, which is then joined by Clapton's guitar, played through a wah-wah pedal. 

The song was written by George immediately after leaving the Beatles. It has good advice at the end.
Now I don't need no wah-wah's
And I know how sweet life can be
If I keep myself free - of wah-wah
I don't need no wah-wah


Don’t give me a wah wah. Instead give me a comment.

This fragmented post has been linked over at A Star In My Own Universe.  You can find more FF posts over there.

 
 

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing