Monday, April 13, 2015

whole lotta music history on youtube

Nobody warned me that phrases used in my young days would have new undesirable meaning in my later years. Not that you really need a warning for such a change but I wasn’t expecting it.

For example, Jerry Lee Lewis had a hot hit with “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On”.

Back when my head of hair was dark, a whole lotta shakin’ would be a great thing involving girls. Now, this white hair guy thinks of nervous disorders that afflict too many aging people when I hear that phrase. I don’t imagine doctors joke about a whole lotta shakin’ goin’ on in their explanation of their diagnosis.

While listening to my Itunes, the Jerry Lee Lewis song popped up. This post started with the idea of using whole lotta shakin’ goin’ on but before I finished researching various trails and tangents I ended up at “the day the music died”.

Another hit Jerry Lee had was his cover of the Big Bopper’s “Chantilly Lace”. Chantilly lace is fine along with a pony tail hanging down, a wiggle in a walk. But I would not want any great balls of fire.



Big Bopper doing Chantilly Lace


My research uncovered a response song to “Chantilly Lace”. You might remember the song was the male end of a phone call (back when phones were used to talk on) between a guy and a girl. The response song was the girl calling the operator to connect with the guy. The Big Bopper wrote both songs apparently.

Now even I am not old enough to remember ever connecting my call via an operator vs. direct dialing (oh I do remember needing to turn the dial). The Big Bopper didn’t live long enough to hear this response song titled, “Bopper 486609” played on the radio. “The day the music died” happened on Feb. 3, 1959 just before this song was going to release. Buddy Holly, and Richie Valens also died in that single engine Beech Bonanza plane crash.

The Big Bopper’s son, Big Bopper Jr. like his dad sang and played rock-n-roll. My wife and I saw him perform in a tribute concert at the same venue that his dad in the 50’s had played at, the Willowbrook Ballroom. We have seen it there twice. The tribute tour is called “Winterdance Party Tour”. It was organized by John Mueller who plays Buddy Holly. There is also a Richie Valens impersonator.

Here’s a clip about the tribute tour and you’ll notice the Willowbrook Ballroom sign at the beginning (about the 1:19 point).





A sad note - Big Booper Jr. died in 2013.

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing