Friday, September 06, 2013

Who’s calling

(Warning: The post you are about to read contains Lisleman’s distortions and speculations. It only takes a quick spin on my office chair start my inner ear spinning. The truth is out there, I just don’t know where.)



I never thought I’d come to this. What’s it all about?

Late, headphones on, I-tunes playlist background, wondering why I haven’t shut the laptop lid and called it a night.

Cellphone flashes. Strange number shows on the caller id. I silence the gadget as I curse the unknown idiot and his drunken butt call. Another flashing alert, voice message waiting.

Weird, butt call left a message. A moment later a call comes in with the same strange id. I give in and answer.




“Hello”

“Hello, I’m sorry to call so late, 
is this Mr. Lisleman?”

“Who is this?”

“Sir, this is the 
National Security Council office”

“the security of what?”

“The US National Security Council office, 
the President wishes to talk Mr. Lisleman.”

(I pause. Look around for signs I’ve been drinking. No it’s been hours since I had a beer.)


“Hello are you still there?”

“Oh yes, did you say, 
the President wishes 
to talk to me?”

“Sir I must first verify you are Lisleman.”

“Ok, sure"

“Which branch of service 
did you serve in? 
Highest rank and year of discharge?”

“I was in the Air Force
 left as a First Lieutenant in 83.”


“Ok please standby, 
the next person you hear 
will be the President.”



I roll over and fall to the floor. As I stumble into bathroom I remind myself not to stay up reading CNN reports of the Syrian crisis while listening to these types of songs:

Seems I got to have a change of scene
Cause every night I have the strangest dream
Imprisoned by the way, yeah, it could’ve been
Left here on my own or so it seems
I got to leave before I start to scream
But someone's locked the door and took the key





9 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm beginning to think you may have an automatic spinner on your chair. Just kidding. Almost. Maybe. I'll get back to you.

Dawn Saros-Kirk said...

Sure about having only one beer? Joe Cocker, one of my favorites!

lisleman said...

Please get back (as the Beatles told us long ago).
I don't need an auto spinner.
thanks

lisleman said...

Well maybe it was a very large beer. Joe Cocker sang some great stuff. thanks

Cheryl P. said...

"the truth is out there, I just don't know it" is a great line. I need to remember it but my memory isn't what it used to be.


That is a nightmare, thinking that any government entity would call. Government offices never call saying you won something.

lisleman said...

They don't give away many prizes. It would be an honor to be called by the President. Memory - yeah it's puzzling that as we reach more wisdom we forget what the wisdom was.
thanks

Ducky said...

An airman...all my favorite men were airman...Father, Grandfather and Husband were all in the Air Force. Hope you didn't hurt anything on the landing. :D

lisleman said...

No parachute require for that short drop. BTW, I did not have a flying assignment but I did get the chance to take a flight once in which a General flew the plane. thanks for browsing over here

random guest said...

this would done by texting in the future

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing