Not too scary reading the word "boo". Hear it suddenly in some dark place and most everyone jumps. Just sharing a few Halloween related thoughts please share yours in the comments.
- As a kid halloween was much longer. I recall going for TWO nights of roaming the neighborhoods. We always used old pillow cases and on a good night filled them until they were heavy to carry.
- My older brother (oh thanks for putting up with me) and I for a number of years dressed-up the same. Our hobo ( bums) outfits were fixed (unfix?) by mom. The best part was burning the end of a cork and blackening our faces with the ash. Today this homemade black-face costume would not be politically correct.
- I even enjoyed getting the homemade caramel corn balls. You would probably be reported today if you handed out homemade food. Most parents would discard any non-wrapped items.
- Our mom would make pumpkin pie from the guts of the pumpkin. Our own kids have enjoyed baking the pumpkin seeds, but I am typically the one that eats most of them since they are not a big hit.
- I don't remember many parents going out with their kids. Now it's the opposite. It's rare to see kids at the door without a parent in the background.
- I recall some pranks like soap on windows. I apologize. Bad judgment on my part. Oh, the item above (parents in the background) really reduced the prank level.
- I thought Halloween was just for kids until I was no longer a kid. I discovered a whole different side to Halloween with the costume party. Probably the only time a sucking vampire nerd could pick-up girls. (I read that adults costumes outsell in total dollar amount than children costumes)
- We didn't have the halloween movie cycle back then. I think scary movies would come out all during the year. "Wait until dark" (it was released in Oct. guess I didn't make the connection) and "The Birds" were good ones.
- Door-to-door trick-or-treat within your neighborhood is a nice social activity. Neighbors don't always interact enough. We are lucky to have an annual block party with good participation.
- Lastly, I think this a fun improvement - Halloween decorated pets. As in most everything today, people can and do go overboard with it.
This one is my favorite -
going as another species.
How did they get that pose?
Check out the lace on this number:
Sorta disturbing - doesn't make me want eat:
The singer songwriter who gained youtube fame with her Walmart song wrote a funny Halloween one too. If you want to get to the Halloween part skip to about the 1:44 mark. Happy Halloween and get your hands off my candy.