Monday, April 01, 2019

alligator lizards in the air

Well now I know, thanks to the wonderful internet of knowledge.

My last post inquired into “a pigeon from hell”. Now I bring up “alligator lizards in the air”. Is this a trend? I doubt it. I’m not a trend setter. My trends have all gone off the rails.

Being retired I have time to listen to lyrics and look them up for more analysis. Most any piece of lyric can be used to find the whole song. Just a google away (Not to be confused with a googly - cricket anyone*). The wonderful wikipedia not only helps identify the song but often the story behind odd phrases.



fish in the air

Ok if you are still puzzled about which song lyrics this comes from ( thanks for not leaving the blog to find out), it’s the band America’s song “Ventura Highway”.

'Cause the free wind is blowin' through
Your hair
And the days surround your daylight
There
Seasons crying no despair
Alligator lizards in the air

Most of the song makes complete sense. It’s talking about the better weather on our west coast compared to towns that don’t look good in snow. But what does a nice climate have to do with “alligator lizards in the air”?

The story according to wikipedia, explains that as a kid the song’s writer, Dewey Bunnell, was spotting shapes in the clouds with his brother while his father repaired a flat tire on the side of a California highway. It would be interesting to learn their father’s version of the story.

Dewey’s father was in the USAF which made the story even more interesting since I have been to a few of the Air Force bases mentioned.



* If I understand the slang term googly then a googly google would be a tough search for an answer.

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing