Wednesday, May 28, 2014

deer jumping

This is not a deer-in-the-headlights story.  If you don't travel rural roads with deer possibilities, you might not realize a deer-in-the-headlights really does mean a deer frozen looking into your car headlights.  They are dangerous road hazards.

This story is stranger.  A deer from the sky.  Luckily, the ending is good.  A smashed car but all the humans walked away fine.

A mom driving her mini-van on the interstate with children on-board is suddenly hit by a deer crashing down on her car.  An eyewitness who stopped to help didn't know the falling object was a deer until he reached the scene. 

I do credit the woman for remaining calm and controlling the car.  Anything crashing through a windshield is a possible cause for panic.

Hopefully the moose won't come down to Illinois



At the end of the following news clip the reporters go a bit overboard on this deer mystery.
Did it jump?
Did it get spooked?
Did some else hit it on the overpass?

If you have lived and driven in areas with deer, you quickly learn that deer are very unpredictable and don't play well with traffic.  I have driven on I-90  many times.  This is the first time I've heard of a deer falling from one of the overpasses.

Unfortunately it's too common that deer will jump out at your vehicle from the side shoulder.  The strangest deer encounter I've had was one jumping right in front of me on a bike path.  We almost collided.  After staring and shaking my head, I pedaled away.






No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing