Thursday, January 23, 2014

limited friday fragments offered

Limited time offer - really? The offers just keep coming and coming.  One time limited offer passes and another appears soon after. I would expect the store to be empty given all the clearance sales. Do you think the marketers just play with the words they think we like?

It’s time to play with those fragments popping in and out of yours thoughts. Write them down, post them and link them over at Mrs. 4444’s blog. I did.




Another Lisleman’s line from his shower: 
I think low-key is the missing key to having a relaxing time. Of course, I never could sing on key.

!*  The beat goes on  *!

Target Corp said on Wednesday that it is cutting 475 jobs at its headquarters and other offices in Minnesota. I sure hope they don’t cut any online security positions!!


!*  rhythm to the brain  *!

I can’t decide if I’m thinking too fast or too slow. Most noticeably while online I’ll start to take action on an idea and another idea will somehow get wedged into the middle of the first idea. The first idea doesn’t always recover and I’m left wondering what was I going to do. I hate when my ideas have accidents at the synapse intersections.

Speaking of ideas, I have one for my next post. The title is “jelly donuts, gators and bunnies”. Stay linked!  (I wrote down the idea here so I'll remember)


!*  la da dee la da daa  *!


Music has the power to time transport you to a time in your past. Did you notice my fragment separators today? One line I would update in Sonny and Cher’s hit “The Beat Goes On”, would be the line, “grandmas sit in chairs and reminisce”. Today I would say “grandmas post on Facebook and reminisce”.

Some music of course is seasonal. Yesterday, I was reloading an old I-pod of mine and let the I-tunes play in the background during the slow process. A Christmas song popped up. Why do Christmas songs sound so bad during January? I wonder if any artist have every recorded their Christmas songs in January.

!*  mini skirt the current thing  *!

Just to confuse you a bit, I changed a few words of another sixties hit. Can you identify the song? (now try without googling)
The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Commenting can only help
With enough comments I won’t tire


Half-Past Kissin' Time




30 comments:

tracismixedbag said...

My brain can be all over the place too, especially while on the computer. Places where my brain slows down and enjoys the journey...
the shower
driving alone and not in a hurry
a walk to no where

How have you been doing in the ultra cold weather?

Cheryl P. said...

The song is Light My Fire by the Doors. Normally I don't know song lyrics but that was was rather unique. I was never fond of that particular song. The repetition of "light my fire, light my fire...seemed like a stuck record.

I also, am frequently distracted. I start something and get off on a different track. I think our world is being compressed into snippets. of information and our brains are used to only concentrating for about 20 seconds. Headlines, Twitter Feeds, News Bulletins, Facebook Updates,,,Everything is coming at our brains in quick little pieces.

Tami said...

online security. haha! They didn't seem to do a good job anyway.

lisleman said...

good point maybe that whole department should be canned. I was victim of this hack too. So far the big inconvenience of changing account numbers was the worst part (that I know of).
thanks

lisleman said...

Good to see a comment from you show up. This ultra cold sorta sucks. Luckily I don't need to venture out too often. Want some snow I have some on my driveway you can have for free.
Yes the shower is great place to get wet, clean up and think.
thanks

lisleman said...

You got it. BTW Jose Feliciano did a great cover of this song. Now you have Lisleman's A-Few-Clowns-Short points which if you ever figure out what they are good for, I'll award you more.
Back in 2011, a few readers had fun winning these points.
http://afcsoac.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-is-this.html

Yes the shorting of our attention spans - a national disaster? Not a disaster until CNN covers it over and over again but by then we will have move on to something else. Look! squirrel.

deborahpucci said...

Certain songs can always take me back in time. Most of the time they are such good memories. I liked Sonny and Cher. Come on baby light my fire!

Joanne said...

I no longer remember my good ideas long enough to find a pen to write them on my hand.

tckk said...

I love the thinking too fast/too slow paragraph. I am the same way. I get a really cool blogging idea in my head (usually in the middle of the night) and get it all worked out and then can't remember it when I go to blog. haha

Judy said...

i always have a pen and paper beside me to write down any good thoughts and even some of the bad ones.

Laurie Matherne said...

For a long time, I have been carrying a small notebook with me so I can keep track of my thoughts, offline or online. I can see a difference when I try to live without that small notebook.

Laurie Matherne said...

Driving alone is a great way for me to collect my wandering thoughts, too.

lisleman said...

Depending on the length of the drive, music or even an audio book is good. I find music often gives me ideas.

lisleman said...

A very good idea. I started carrying a small blank paged book when I was traveling via some long flights. I filled one up and started another one but I don't carry it around or write in it too often now.
Do you think twitter will replace this type of practice in the future?
thanks

lisleman said...

good thinking planning.
I do collect ideas in an online text document but of course it's not always available.

lisleman said...

Yes that is frustrating. As I notice in a few of the comments carrying or having a notebook nearby really helps. There is no prefect solution but I believe writing is good exercise.
thanks

lisleman said...

You need more pens. I've heard short term memory is different than long term memory but I'm not sure how to use that knowledge.
thanks

lisleman said...

I saw Sonny and Cher in concert long long ago (maybe in a different universe?). You are right about "Light my fire" so enough the A-Few-Clowns-Short points. If you do find the points useful let me because I never have.
thanks

Laurie Matherne said...

While I have been in the US I attempted to replace my notepad with apps on my smart phone but I find it simpler to have a notepad handy.

Laurie Matherne said...

Are you using Spotify? I can't use it in Honduras due to licensing probems, but I love it in the US for discovering new tunes as well as rediscovering old faves. The sound quality is much better than YouTube or Itunes.

lisleman said...

writing by touchpad is harder than a pen so if the tablet/smartphone doesn't have a keyboard you are better off with a pen/paper approach. I'm not on twitter, don't have a smartphone but use a laptop online everyday. Thanks for sharing your experience with the apps.

lisleman said...

No I don't use Spotify. I've noticed a few youtube music clips that had awful sound. I belong to Pandora radio but don't use everyday. Does the free spotify (I assume there is a free version) include ads?

Laurie Matherne said...

The free version of Spotify has occasional ads but not nearly as many commercial radio. Pandora? You will discard it once you try Spotify. The audio quality is extraordinary.

jodaley said...

I love all your musical references each week. I've started putting ideas that pop into my head into the notes app on my phone. It helps. Then I go back and look at the random lists and scratch my head about some of my own shorthand : ) Every now and then a Christmas tune pops into my ipod shuffle. Unless it's December, it's jarring! Have a nice weekend!

lisleman said...

Jarring - Good to know you agree about those seasonal songs. I have found myself doing more and more musical references. Not sure why. Have good weekend too - thanks

Star Traci said...

I have the same idea about the Target job cuts!
And my thoughts get caught in the middle, as well. That's why I love the frags!
:-)
Traci

doreenmcgettigan said...

Come on baby light my fire... Not sure which of those two songs will win the battle going on in my mind right now.
We use Pandora too. Our kids keep telling us to try Spotify.
Have a battle of the bands kind of weekend...

lisleman said...

The fragments fridays are fun posting for me. Target deserves to be punished for not noticing the problem sooner and perhaps letting it occur in the first place.
thanks

lisleman said...

Light My Fire is it. Battle of the bands - do they still have those? I remember going to a few long long ago. thanks

doreenmcgettigan said...

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a real band anymore...

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing