Monday, October 07, 2013

who knew

I just found out.

Believe it or not, there are very educational things on blogs, youtube and even twitter.  For example I learned while looking at space pictures awhile ago that the Vatican has an observatory.  They are headquartered near Vatican City in Italy but have a telescope or two on a mountain in Arizona.

Don't know if you know about the Galileo incident about 400 some years ago, but he would be rolling in his grave if he found out.
 




Here's a cool image of a polar ring galaxy that they studied.

 
Heavenly


 

10 comments:

Joanne said...

Who indeed.Galileo rules!

lisleman said...

Yes The king of night vision, as the Indigo Girls sang.

Bearman Cartoons said...

Wonder if the Arizona one is open to the public

lisleman said...

I just know about what little I read at the site. It's run in a partnership with a university so I would imagine you could arrange a visit but probably need to do in advance with the group in charge there. Not sure if my answer told you much. thanks

longhollow said...

Actually, this is something I knew! I taught Confirmation a few years ago and so I did a lot of research on Catholicism. I think Galileo is probably dancing in his grave about it.

lisleman said...

You just scored points over here. The points are like points on a video game. They mean something at the time but later ? who will remember? I think this would make Galileo mad.
thanks

Cheryl P. said...

I would of never known that the Vatican had an observatory and I find it interesting out of all the places in the world that they would have telescopes in AZ. The Internet is a wealth of information. Unfortunately, for me, it is also a time suck.

lisleman said...

The AZ site doesn't surprise me because they often have clear skies there. time suck ? - depends on what else you could be doing.
thanks

Secret Agent Woman said...

That is gorgeous.

lisleman said...

thanks - beautiful space.

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing