Monday, September 28, 2009

another Ken Burns treat



Well did you watch it last night?
The PBS series The National Parks: America's Best Idea by Ken Burns started last night.  It was excellent.

I took the above picture while enjoying Glacier National Park in Montana.  What I will try doing this week is post a picture of mine from a national park each day.   I have been to a few but there are so many more to see.  Please join me with sharing pictures.  Write in the comments and I'll link to your picture.

Back to last night's show.

Glacier National Park (above) was not part of it because it starts at the beginning and the story of Yosemite and Yellowstone alone is story that can fill a few hours.

An important part of the beginning story centers around John Muir.  I had heard of him before and the woods named to honor him (have not made it there yet).  This episode describes the quirkiness, the tenacity, and vision of John Muir.  One thing I learned was he loved to walk through the wild.

Gretel Ehrlich, author of John Muir: Nature's Visionary, is interviewed for this episode.  She said:
"...I think we're born lost, and we remain lost until we remove the shell of who we think we are, all the preconceptions of who we think we are and to expose ourselves to the great power of the natural world and to let that power reshape us..."

Often referenced as a national embarrassment was Niagara Falls.  Leaders supporting the park would point out that you don't want "another Niagara Falls".  I enjoyed a visit to Niagara Falls with my daughter a few years ago.  It is commercialized and touristy but I gather it was much worst in the 1800's.

I hope to see some the beautiful national parks presented in this series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
about blog       another circus         solar info link


   

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh America the Beautiful. Nice picture. Thank you for sharing. Great idea!

One thing I loved most about being "lost" in the US was to bump into the national parks. And how we enjoyed trying to prove who were the senior citizens, who were the children and nobody really wanted to be a regular adult :)

I like the quotation about born lost but I would rather believe that parents are the ones who mold us - don't mean to sound too politically correct here :)

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I saw it and it was amazing. Made me want to pack the kids in a camper and go out there NOW!

Bill Lisleman said...

@ocean girl - yes parents are typically the prime force but I think this author was referring to adults finding themselves. thanks for sharing

@maureen - this first episode focused on places I have not been to so I agree with you. they look amazing

Claudya Martinez said...

My husband was very excited to watch.

Bill Lisleman said...

@unknown mami - that's good to hear hopefully you'll be able to join him for some of it. thanks for stopping by.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Burns rocks. Yay, you, lisleman, for doing this series!

We love Glacier - I have two posts with pics to share with you:
http://halfirishrover.blogspot.com/2009/07/studly-cyclists-and-flying-pancakes.html

and
http://halfirishrover.blogspot.com/2009/07/dodging-grizzly-bears-eating-steak-and.html

Niagara Falls is beautiful, but I can't imagine it much more commercialized and tacky than it is now. We were there in July. Loved the boat ride up close, deplored all the junk up above. Thank God for Yosemite, Yellowstone and our other protected places!

As for Muir, his legacy lives on in the organization he founded, The Sierra Club. You couldn't ask for a better group of people advocating for the natural world.

Bill Lisleman said...

@FF - I posted about your pics thanks. I thought I might be able to directly link to the photo so that it would just show up as a photo but that didn't work. I just put the links in there.

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing