Monday, February 03, 2020

Windmills of your mind

Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
...
Like a door that keeps revolving in a half forgotten dream



Windmills spinning are probably a nice pleasant way to describe the way one’s mind can spin. Wheels turning is a common description of a thinking brain. However when those wheels turn and spin out of control, the result might be unwanted.

Dreams start and end within your mind. I read that dreams are a way of our minds sorting out the world around us. Maybe I’m generalizing but I’ve noticed the difficult and confusing can team up to destroy your nice day. So my dreams spiral.

Inspirational music can really move me but so can a good escalator. Recently, I had the chance to visit the temple of coffee, Starbucks Reserve Roastery, in downtown Chicago.





My first ride on a curved escalator was worth the visit. It certainly beats spiral staircases.




The large structure rising up from below the ground floor had me thinking of a cathedral or Buck Rogers' starship. Here’s what Starbucks says about the structure:
Standing as the centerpiece of the roastery is a 56-foot steel cask (the company’s tallest), a sculptural blend of form and function, where coffee beans go to rest and de-gas after being roasted. The bronze-colored cask has a perforated shell that reveals roasted beans moving through tubes in all directions, and then accumulating throughout the day like grains of sand in an hourglass.

A very impressive place that is certainly a tourist attraction. I spent about 30 minutes there. While checking out 4 floors, I never ordered any coffee. It’s not clear where to line up for coffee. The 4th floor has a cocktail lounge. The whole place was busy.



coffee mills of your mind


reminds me of chemistry class


My coffee temple visit could have been better if I had time to sit and contemplate the roasting of coffee.

Have you ever described something by saying what it was not? Many concepts and ideas don’t necessarily have direct opposites. Ideas can be just a different shade of another idea.

Would you consider the opposite of “it’s good enough” to be “it could have been better if”? Perfection can be an illusion that is not reachable.

The storm of upsetting news coming out of the impeachment our President of Chaos conditioned me to notice the following lyrics from the song "Galileo" by the Indigo Girls.

Galileo head was on the block
Crime was looking up the truth
I don't believe crime will find the real truth. I do agree with the Indigo Girls that Galileo was the king of night vision, king of insight. How long before congress finds its soul, let alone getting it right?


I’ve provided youtube clips of the songs referenced here for those who don’t know the songs or would enjoy refreshing their memory of the songs.








No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing