Thursday, April 05, 2018

Long ago I started to think

I have not stopped yet.

The Thinker, Rodin

I never cared for the expression “too much time on your hands”. How can anyone really have too much time? Some activities allow you to think during the activity. Do you have time to think about my question?


riding tortoises allow time to think

Just reacting without thinking has gone badly too often. Planning certainly doesn’t work all the time either. A great plan includes options if the universe disagrees with your plan. You need time to create a great plan.

I’ve discovered over my career of thinking that being assigned a specific problem/task/challenge typically constraints your thinking. It helps to be focused. Now, I’m finished with my task oriented engineering career so I have more time to think about whatever. Free unstructured time provides the freedom to consider a vast unrelated collection of ideas/questions. There is a side effect of this freedom called confusion.

Social media (yes I’ll admit blogs are part of social media but different than Fakebook) throws an overwhelming amount of topics/concerns/problems in your face to consider. It takes extra effort to take time to think about this stuff popping up on your social media feed.

Never used on a TV game show - CareerBuilder early 2017 survey says: 70% of employers use social media to screen candidates before hiring. (imagine a game show based on CareerBuilder surveys - total fail)

You know that expression of walking around in another person's shoes. It’s not about stealing used footwear but changing your perspective on the life other people experience. Over at the Long Hollow blog I found a link to this clip called “Complainers”. (note I’m not complaining)






I realize my postings don’t always make sense. However, so much in the world fails to make sense. Making cents doesn’t make complete sense. Have you ever compared what a few people earn to what most people earn? Of course there is discrimination in paying people. Even if you disregard discrimination you’ll notice that large sums of money go to people for just their endorsement. The endorsement doesn’t even need to be more than their image on an advertisement.

The concept of being your own brand didn’t exist when I was young. I’ve squinted at my face in the morning mirror and thought my wonderful hair should be worth a thousand or more. That’s my two cents about that.

I’m suspect incomes have always been illogical and seldom based on the effort involved in the work.

While listening to Pandora I heard these lyrics:

It seems like everywhere I go
The more I see, the less I know

That fairly common expression came from this song: (Michael Franti & Spearhead performing Say Hey (I Love You))

 

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing