Tuesday, June 02, 2015

breaking news - potential danger alert

Hmm, I know if I took more time that post title could be vastly improved. However alerts always have a time element to them. Last season’s tornado warnings, blizzard condition warnings, and two-for-one beer specials don’t matter much after their time is over. So I’m going ahead with this alert in spite of the non attention grabbing title. Ok, I added “breaking news” to the title. Breaking news is so overused it should be banned from TV.

(Note: Oh yeah, I’m not authorized to speak publicly on this matter. Of course, I will anyway to anyone who would like to listen.)

Well don’t jump to conclusions or to the bottom of the post before you read completely through my short list of reasons for why I’m alerting you to this important potential danger found in most developed countries. Hopefully this alert will increase your awareness assuming you have not clicked away already. The next step could be a campaign (Americans are conditioned to be in constant campaign mode these days) to better regulate these dangerous devices.


My reasons why action is needed to better control these dangerous devices:
  • According to the World Health Organization, the United States leads the world in deaths by users of these devices.
  • Most of these deaths happen at 10 feet or less.
  • I had often thought of getting one for home use but now being older I’m no longer even tempted to buy one. Who knows, had I owned one years ago I might not be here today.
  • Back when I was much younger I was almost injured because of unstable conditions often caused by these devices.
  • Over the past decade, the number of related deaths have tripled.
  • Children often are attracted to them, resulting in serious injury.
  • Don’t misunderstand, I believe they are needed, I just feel they should be controlled and used by trained professionals. Many homeowners buy them because they feel the need to take matters into their own hands. Too many of these homeowners are unstable, resulting in serious injury.
  • The professionals often mount them to their trucks for quick access. I wonder how many are stolen and used in crimes.
  • Lastly, the event that really brought my attention to this matter: My own brother (who as a professional has owned and used these dangerous devices safely) has now mounted one to his all-terrain-vehicle. It just looks like an accident waiting to happen.


found in the Ozark back woods



We need to better control of extension ladder use in this country!

Perhaps my brother’s many days spent in the wild woods of the ozarks has influenced his thinking. Please report any all-terrain-vehicles with mounted extension ladders at your next two-for-one beer special. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing