Friday, February 08, 2008

sometimes clicking ads is enlighting

I clicked on ad for mobile Internet from Avis. I don't know how widely available it is, but Avis will rent you a mobile access router for about $10 a day. I suspect you need to rent a car too.

So I looked around some and found the company behind the service offering.
It's a start-up called AutoNet.

They have a box that combines 3G (EVDO) with a Wi-Fi router. They don't say what wireless service (ATT, Verizon Wireless, ...) they use. Maybe they have it setup with multiple ones. So far it appears you can only get the box through Avis. Their web hints that it will be coming soon as a direct service from them.

I used the laptop cards from VzW once or twice on a biz trip. I was nice not relying on a Wi-Fi hotspot in order to connect. At the time I think the service was more than $60 a month extra.

No comments:

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing