Wednesday, February 22, 2012

emotion on display

from Fox Searchlight web site

Just as there are many types of movies, there are many reasons to watch a movie. I don’t review movies much here but we all review the life around us. This movie about life’s emotions certainly can draw opinions from anyone with even a small bit of life experience. 

Last night my wife and I went out to see, “The Descendants”.

It’s one of the best picture nominees this year. I’m not going to compare it to the others. I just want to recommend it and share some opinion. 

The emotions displayed by the actors had me going from almost tears to jump-up yelling at the screen (I was able to restrain myself). The story includes a whole family relationship spectrum. 
Parent - child  love, hurt, and concern
Infidelity betrayal and anger 
Death's untimeliness
Old age 
Rebellious teenager 
Aging dementia

As a father, I had many memories good and bad refreshed by this movie.  It's a very realistic story.

If you have also seen the movie please share your thoughts.  I would enjoy discussing them in the comment section.  thanks



another circus 

16 comments:

Bearmancartoons said...

Haven't seen it but looks like it will be on my rental list.

lisleman said...

 Since it's up for a few awards I'm wondering if that will delay the release to DVD.  I would certainly watch it again.  thanks

oceangirl said...

I'll be on the lookout for it.

lisleman said...

 I have no knowledge on it's international distribution but it usually is after the US market.  thanks

Shrinky said...

I haven't seen it, but it sure sounds worth a view.  I don't go to cinemas anymore (hate having the back of my chair kicked, folk talking throughout the movie, etc.), but I do love a good DVD.  I'll look out for it when it comes around.

lisleman said...

 We all hate inconsiderate people at a movie or event.  When we went it was not crowded so there was lots of space between people.  Most cinema watching turns out good for me but I've had talkers ruin it before too.  thanks for browsing over here.

Jene said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I really want to. Maybe next week.

lisleman said...

 Thanks - I'm still waiting for a comment from someone who has seen it.  I thought it had been more popular.  If you do see it, I'm interested in your opinion of it.

Jennifer Richardson said...

You know,  I wouldn't have seen it.  But reading this from you,
I reconsider.I'll make it happen.
Thanks for the reliable tip.Adding milk duds to grocery list.....
-Jennifer

lisleman said...

 oh oh you smuggle milk duds into the theater?  Those big corporations are not going like that.  I hope you do see it and report back.  thanks

Barbara said...

I totally agree with you on this one. I thought it was realistic and surprising. It's tied with "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" as my favorite Clooney film. I thought he did a great job.

lisleman said...

 Thanks finally a reader who has seen it.  I have the DVD of "Oh Brother..." and a CD of the music.  Clooney is good.  I even enjoyed the "Men Stare at Goats??" but it wasn't anywhere as good as this one.  There was a number of things I could relate to in this story so I had a connection with Clooney's character.  Thanks for browsing over here.

tracismixedbag said...

I loved it and can't wait to see it again. It's definitely going to be one of my go-to crying movie. 

lisleman said...

 Good another reader who has seen it.  It's a sad story but there are parts that stirred an anger in me.  One of my favorite scenes (there are many) is when he runs out of the house and down the street.  thanks for sharing.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I haven't yet - I will when it comes out on Netflix.

lisleman said...

 If you can remember come back here and tell what you thought of it.
thanks

Featured Post

Feedback can be amazing